Lake Area Technical Institute
Be Where Your Passion Is
A Community For Students
Lake Area Technical Institute is a community college focused on local careers, technical degrees, and the welfare of its student body. With cutting-edge programs that rival many academic universities, LATI offers a unique learning experience that promises to deliver results after graduation.
In addition to passing their classes, students at LATI focus on developing their future. Rather than enforcing the expectation that all students should strive to get a 4.0 GPA and perfect test scores, LATI staff members work closely with undergraduates to prepare them for their prospective industries. Local job opportunities are highlighted, and a number of students enter the workforce immediately after graduation.
The goal of LATI is to be effective and student-oriented. Here, it isn’t about the degree – it’s about what graduates are able to do with their degree.
According to LATI President Mike Cartney:
“That changes the whole conversation. When a young person comes in, you’re not talking about what degree they want but rather what they want to do with their life. What do they want to be? And when they go to their classes…they’re not taking the classes because they have to be in class. They’re taking the classes in order to get the skills to be whatever it is they want to be. We’re already at some of the highest graduation rates in the nation…and we’re hoping to bump that even higher.”
What Makes LATI a Top-Ranking Community College?
- LATI has educated over 19,000 graduates and has over 2,000 currently enrolled students that enjoy programs based on their interests, goals, and aptitude.
- 98% of LATI graduates are employed or continuing their education within six months of graduation.
- LATI boasts one of the highest graduation/transfer rates of all community colleges in the United States. At 73.5% in 2013, it nearly tripled the national average of 20.4%.
- 90% of graduates remain in South Dakota to launch their careers. Graduates also earn 49% more than other new hires in the area.
- LATI promises small and interactive classes, with a strong focus on technology and innovative improvements.
- 28 programs are offered, and 12 of these programs are available online as e-Degrees. LATI focuses on the career goals of its students, rather than their educational experience alone.
- As of 2015, LATI was a three-time finalist for the Aspen Award.
- 41% of first-time, full-time students receive Pell grants, and LATI prides itself in providing aid to prospective students from low-income households.
Why Choose LATI?
Since class sizes are limited and the student body is manageable in size, LATI is able to offer something that many other community colleges cannot – a personalized educational experience.
The institute also has a positive effect on the surrounding community. Students are highly encouraged to take part in community service. The institute delivered over 17,000 hours in community service projects in 2014 alone, earning them a place in the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. LATI continues that tradition today, even after celebrating its 50th Anniversary in 2015.
Perhaps the most impressive thing about LATI is the impression that it leaves upon its students. Graduates share a memorable and unique experience that smoothens the transition from student to employee. For LATI, student placement is the overall goal and not a side effect of a specific degree. Few colleges across the country share the same focus.
If you’re interested in applying to the institute or have further questions about their programs, check out their website at lakeareatech.edu or call (605)-882-5284 to speak with an admissions representative.